Not feeling enough...

18:44

These days with the rise of social media influencers from youtube stars to instagram models, it is easy for us to feel like we should be successful at a younger age as we constantly see photos of people our own age going on luxury holidays, attending red carpet events and being cover stars of some of our favourite magazines.
I am 22 years old and everyday I see these people online and compare their lifestyles to my own. Its hard not to get jealous seeing someone my own age buying a mansion and living out their dreams whilst I'm currently working unpaid and living at home with my parents with no money to have a social life.
I think we put way too much pressure on ourselves to have succeeded already and play down what we may have already overcome just because we aren't making as much money as people we see online everyday. I have discussed this with a few of my friends and it seems like we are all in a similar mind frame when it comes to feeling down about not achieving what we feel is enough.
Im sorry but we are in our early twenties and we shouldn't expect ourselves to have our shit together. We are recent graduates still trying to find our feet in a world where most jobs are asking for more that 3 years experience for an entry level job! (Don't ask Im just as confused as you are).
A lot of A-list celebrities didn't make it big till they were in their 40s but they got there by not giving up. Look at Samuel L Jackson, one of Hollywoods most treasured stars he gained his award winning role in "Jungle Fever." at the age of 43. Vera Wang didn't enter into the fashion designing industry till she was 40 years old and look at her now!

It okay that we don't have everything together. Its also okay to admit that you may be struggling. Everything happens for a reason and I really do believe this.
I think we all need to stop comparing others successes to our own. Not everything you see online is "real." and you never know what these people are going through behind closed doors themselves.

I have achieved so much in the past year. Things that I never thought I would have been able to do and I need to keep reminding myself of that. My achievements should not be downplayed just because my life isn't perfect. Nobodies lives are perfect, even if thats what it may seem like from the outside.
I managed to graduate from university whilst struggling with my mental health. I was discharged from the hospital that I was attending weekly for therapy sessions because they thought I had progressed so much that I could do it on my own and they were right! Yes I still have days were I struggle but I have done amazingly and have come so far and Im proud to be able to say that. I have the most amazing family and friends that I could wish for. Yes I might be working unpaid right now but it is a job that I enjoy and that will hopefully lead me into more paid work in the career that I have always dreamed to have.


Heres to hoping in a few years I can look back at this post whilst I'm sat on a beach somewhere drinking a cocktail writing my next screen play laughing at how worried I was for no reason 😂
But for now 22 year old Lorna is just going to try her best to stay motivated and to stop comparing herself to others! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments