" I wish I was as fat as the first time I thought I was fat."

20:26

Todays post is going to be one that I hadn't planned on writing however I keep seeing this picture being shared by numerous teenage girls and women on various social media websites that I use and when I saw it, it really got me thinking. Now lets start off by showing you the actual photo I am discussing.


Most of the people I have seen share this have posted it along with some form of laughing emoji or text along the lines of "So True." I would just like to point out that I am not trying to say people shouldn't find this funny. Im sure a lot of people will find it humorous and in my opinion thats fine. This post in no means insulted me it just really made me think.
Most people might just see this post and laugh as they remember a time when they were a naive teen who thought they looked a lot bigger than they were. However for me, I had a different reaction. I really started to think about when I first started analysing my body and for me, as well as many others I'm sure, was an age when I should have been more concerned about what time my mum was going to let me play out with my friends till or if I had earned enough gold stars to get an extra five minutes on the playground.
When did it become okay for children to feel fat or feel a pressure to be something that they're not. I remember lining up on the playground at primary school and comparing myself to other girls. I remember being at the swimming baths and being too afraid to jump in the pool in case I made a splash. I remember eating dinner with my friends and comparing what I was eating to the food they had in front of them and this is all before I even made it to high school.

I remember the first day I thought I was fat. I was in year two. In the UK where I live year two would be the class you was in from around the age of 6/7. I was stood on the hopscotch and an older boy came over to me and said "that jumper makes you look fat." From that moment on I was made aware of the negative connotations surrounding the word "fat." Its just a word but it is a word that has bothered me from that day. The first time I thought I was fat was at SIX YEARS OLD! Looking back now it makes me so mad because at six years old I was no where near fat. I was always a slim child and the fact that I couldn't see that is scary. I hate that young girls and boys in todays society are made aware of negative body image from so early on. Feeling fat that young led me into an eating disorder a few years later on and I have struggled for years with it and am only just managing to accept how I am now.


Excuse the quality of the photos but these photos would have been taken around the age I started thinking about being fat and looking back now I can see that I was not "Fat." in the slightest.

I know this post might seem like I have made a big deal over a post that most people wouldn't even look twice at but it just got me thinking which has led me into this rant :'). Due to the content my blog is about if you're reading this I'm sure some of you may relate to me so feel free to leave comments with your opinions.

Lorna
xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments